List of requirements asked by DFA for Minor Passport applicants
DFA Passport requirements for Minors – Our Department of Foreign Affairs recently issued an updated guideline on how can a Minor apply for his Passport. This article will provide you all of the things you need to know. Things like the Valid ID’s, documents, parent consent and special power of attorney from guardians. We also have an important update fresh from the DFA news website.
Specific requirements and documents are required for minor applicants such as those who are not travelling with either parent or traveling alone, for applicants whose parents are currently living abroad, legitimate by subsequent marriage of parent, illegitimate, orphaned minor, foundling, adopted minors or adopted by foreigners, applicant whose parents are annulled or divorced, and whose mother is also a minor.
What are the DFA Passport requirements for Minors?
The list of requirements asked by Department of Foreign affairs to Minor below 18 years old are the following:
- Confirmed appointment except for children/infants 7 years old and below (source)
- Original Birth Certificate of minor in Security Paper issued by PSA or Certified True Copy of Birth Certificate issued by the Local Civil Registrar and duly authenticated by PSA. Transcribed Birth Certificate from the LCR is required when entries in PSA Birth Certificate are blurred or unreadable. Report of Birth duly authenticated by PSA is required if minor was born abroad.
- Personal appearance of the minor applicant
- Personal appearance of either parent and valid passport of parents (if minor is a legitimate child)
- Personal appearance of mother and proper ID or valid passport of mother (if minor is an illegitimate child)
- Document of identity with photo, if minor is 8-17 years old (for first time and renewal applicant) such as School ID or Form 137 with readable dry seal
- For minor applicants who never attended school, a Notarized Affidavit of Explanation executed by either parent (if minor is a legitimate child) / by mother (if minor is an illegitimate child) detailing the reasons why the child is not in school, is required
- Marriage Certificate of minor’s parents duly authenticated by PSA (for legitimate child)
- Original and photocopy of valid passport of the person traveling with the minor
You might also want to read the additional DFA passport requirements for Minors applicants below
Here are the additional requirements that was being implemented based on the status of the minor applicant:
If minor is not traveling with either parent or alone
- Personal appearance of the mother is required if minor applicant is an illegitimate child.
- Affidavit of Support and Consent (ASC) executed by either parent indicating the name of the traveling companion and relationship to the minor. If minor will be traveling alone, ASC must be executed by either parent, stating that his/her child will be traveling alone. If minor is illegitimate, mother should execute the ASC.
- Original and photocopy of DSWD Clearance
- There is no need to secure a DSWD Clearance if the minor traveling abroad has parents who are in the Foreign Service or living abroad or are immigrants, provided he / she is holding a valid pass such as a dependent’s visa / pass / identification card or permanent resident visa / pass / identification card which serves as proof that he / she is living with parents abroad.
If both parents are abroad:
- Affidavit of Support and Consent (ASC) executed by either parent indicating the name of the traveling companion (authenticated by the nearest Philippine Embassy or Consulate General). If minor is illegitimate, mother should execute the ASC
- Special Power of Attorney (SPA) with an attached photocopy of either parent’s valid passport (authenticated by the nearest Philippine Embassy or Consulate General) authorizing a representative in assisting the child to apply for a passport. If minor is illegitimate, mother should execute the SPA.
- Original and photocopy of DSWD Clearance
- There is no need to secure a DSWD Clearance if the minor traveling abroad has parents who are in the Foreign Service or living abroad or are immigrants, provided he / she is holding a valid pass such as a dependent’s visa / pass / identification card or permanent resident visa /pass / identification card which serves as proof that he / she is living with parents abroad.
- Proper ID of the duly authorized representative (Please refer to List of Acceptable IDs)
If minor is legitimated by subsequent marriage of parents:
- Authenticated Birth Certificate from NSO must include annotation regarding new status as legitimated and the full name of the child
If minor is illegitimate but acknowledged by father:
- Birth certificate from NSO reflecting surname of father with Affidavit of Acknowledgement and Consent to use the surname of father
- Certificate of foundling authenticated by NSO
- DSWD Clearance
- Passport of the person who found the applicant
- Letter of authority or endorsement from DSWD for the issuance of passport
Orphaned minor applicant:
- Authenticated Death Certificates of parents from NSO
- Court order awarding guardianship of the orphaned minor applicant or substitute parental authority under Article 214 & 216 of the Family Code
- DSWD Clearance
Abandoned minor applicant:
- Court order awarding guardianship of the abandoned minor applicant or substitute parental authority
- DSWD Travel Clearance
- Original and Certified True Copy (CTC) of NSO Birth Certificate before adoption
- Original and Certified True Copy (CTC) of the NSO amended Birth Certificate after adoption
- Certified True Copy (CTC) of the Court Decision or Order on Adoption and Certificate of Finality
- DSWD clearance for minor applicant, if traveling with the person other than the adopting parents
In case the applicant is for adoption by foreign parents:
- Certified True Copy of the Court Decree of Abandonment of Child
- DSWD Travel Clearance NSO Death Certificate of the child’s parents or the Deed of Voluntary Commitment executed after the birth of the child
- Endorsement of child to the Intercountry Adoption Board by the DSWD
- Authenticated Birth or Foundling Certificate
Minor applicant whose parents are annulled / divorced:
- Court order awarding guardianship of the minor applicant or substitute parental authority
- DSWD Travel Clearance
- NSO Marriage Certificate with annotation on nullity or annulment decree
Minor applicant whose mother is likewise a minor:
- Personal appearance of mother and maternal grandparent/s
- NSO Birth Certificate of minor applicant and mother
- Affidavit of Support and Consent executed by the maternal grandparent/s indicating the name of the traveling companion
- DSWD Clearance if minor will be traveling with the person other than the maternal grandparent/s
- Proof of identity of mother and maternal grandparent/s (Please refer to List of Acceptable IDs)
For Muslim Applicants (same general requirements stated above)
For late registered Muslim applicants:
- Certificate of Tribal Affiliation from the National Commission on Muslim Filipinos (NCMF)
For converts who would like to use their Muslim name:
- Annotated Birth Certificate (BC) in Security Paper (SECPA) issued by the National Statistics Office (NSO) bearing the Muslim name
- National Commission on Muslim Filipinos (NCMF) or Office on Muslim Affairs (OMA) Certificate of Conversion
DFA contact number / Email and Hotline
If there are still some grey areas on our article “DFA Passport requirements for Minors” please reach out to Department of Foreign Affairs directly as they are the ones expert on this matter.
- DFA Phone numbers: (02) 834-3000 and (02) 834-4000
- Passport, Authentication, & Other Consular Inquiries: 556-0000
- For emails visit their website: DFA – HOME OFFICE PERSONNEL DIRECTORY
Have a safe travel for your kids!
I hope you enjoyed our Olanap.com “DFA Passport requirements for Minors” article as always here we are delivering the most updated Online Guide out there. Do not forget to leave a comment below for any clarifications. For updated post you can subscribe to our Mailing list, Bookmark our website or Like our Facebook Page. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org Cheers!